is the coco for the coconut or the cocoa? who cares when it tastes this good! these ultra-rich, decadent treats were a fan favorite in the office! the only less than amazing feedback i got was that since they were so rich, i perhaps should have cut them a little smaller. oops. but hey, i didnt force them to devour it in under a minute, they just couldn’t help themselves!
interestingly enough, i was driven to make these by the excess of graham crackers in my pantry that were approaching their “best by” date. i bet you couldn’t even tell there were graham crackers in there as you salivated over the ooey gooey caramel-like coconut and mounds of chocolate, but i assure you there are a heaping three cups worth in there. sure, i could have made a graham cracker crust for a pie, or a base for another style bar cookie, or i could have gone with the eagle brand version of these bars…but i was just drawn to this one. i can’t explain it. sometimes you just know.
feel free to undercook them a little tiny bit if you like it that way…no eggs in here, so no danger!
- 3-4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 4 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- as many chocolate chips as you can handle (i used a bag and a half)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 13×9 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs and coconut. Pour in the condensed milk and melted margarine, mix until well blended. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove and immediately drop enough chocolate chips over top to lightly cover it. Return to oven for 1-2 minutes, then use an offset spatula or butter knife to spread evenly; let it cool for a couple minutes, then drop mini chocolate chips over top, chill and cut into squares.
Tagsbanana bars berries birthday blueberries bread breakfast brownies brown sugar buttercream buttermilk cake caramel chocolate chocolate chip chocolate chip cookies cinnamon coconut coffee cookie of the month cookies cream cheese cupcakes filled filled cookies fluff ganache gluten-free lemon marshmallow muffins nuts oatmeal pancakes peanut butter pecans pie pillow cookies pumpkin raspberry spice strawberry vegan white chocolate yeast