coffee, hazelnut, chocolate, cookies… all of these things are on the list of things i need more of in my life. so, today, i baked them all into one brilliant masterpiece! while these shortbread cookies might hold their own without the nutella, and could easily be wonderful with a little bit of melted chocolate drizzled on top, or dipped in chocolate, i couldn’t resist the urge to slather it on.
one of the great things about shortbread is that it does not include eggs, so when you are sitting there thinking “oh man, that dough smells goooood!” you don’t have to worry about eating raw eggs as you scrape some off the side of the bowl. or shovel spoonfuls into your mouth…either way. as i was rolling them out, i considered not baking them at all, but the aroma that came from my oven when the first sheet went in sold me on baking the rest of them. it smelled so good that i almost abandoned them and ran to starbucks, so if you do make these, you might want to have some drinkable coffee handy. as much as i want to eat all of these, most of them will be making their way to a friend’s new home– ah, the things we do for those dear to us!
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules (i used instant espresso)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- Nutella or similar spread (between 1/2-1 jar, depending on your preference), or melted chocolate
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugars and coffee granules. Gradually beat in flour and salt.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-in. to 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 300 degrees F for 20-22 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Once cooled, spread Nutella on the backs of half the cookies and top with the remaining cookies. Makes about 12 sandwich cookies, depending on how thin you roll them
Tagsbanana bars berries birthday blueberries bread breakfast brownies brown sugar buttercream buttermilk cake caramel chocolate chocolate chip chocolate chip cookies cinnamon coconut coffee cookie of the month cookies cream cheese cupcakes filled filled cookies fluff ganache gluten-free lemon marshmallow muffins nuts oatmeal pancakes peanut butter pecans pie pillow cookies pumpkin raspberry spice strawberry vegan white chocolate yeast